BOOK REVIEW: Delirium by Lauren Oliver

3:26 AM Pia San Felipe 0 Comments


"They say that the cure for love will make me happy and safe forever. And I've always believed them. Until now. Now everything has changed. Now, I'd rather be infected with love for the tiniest sliver of a second than live a hundred years smothered by a lie."

Rating: 4.5/5
Can you imagine a world without love? Can you imagine having your life fully planned out and it just has to happen according to the plan? Can you imagine living your life in a pattern? Can you imagine being forbidden, and I mean forbidden as in punishable-by-death-if-you-disobey-kind-of-forbidden, to be with the one you truly love? The one you chose for yourself not because he is who they thought is right for you but he's the one you really want to be with? I can feel you shaking you head but everything's a "yes" in Lena Haloway's world, in the United States of America wherein the amor deliria nervosa is a very dangerous sickness and everyone aged 18 and above has to be given the cure. I must say, Lauren Oliver did such a great job in incorporating the mood into each reader. While I was reading the book, it made me feel as if I am part of Lena's world, like I was part of the community, and it seemed as though I am also deprived of love. It made me feel like I am with Lena as she hurtles along. I am also surprised how I finished this book in 3 nights and a half. It is too detailed for my taste (which bored me a bit especially during the first few chapters) but I think that's what made me feel the book. It is very moving and I wouldn't be surprised if this book becomes the next Twilight, but much much better than Twilight in my taste. Even my little brother reads it and he's halfway through! When I was done reading it, I found him the next day lying on his bed and reading (not just flipping through) the book! He even wanted to bring it with him on his 3-day outreach trip but I told him no as he may ruin the pages. Hahahaha!

I can't wait to get my hands on Pandemonium, the second book is Oliver's smashing trilogy. Delirium comes with a sneak peak of it so I got a few takes on the first chapter and I am really excited to read it!

0 comments: