BOOK REVIEW: Love, Rosie by Cecilia Ahern

12:47 AM Pia San Felipe 0 Comments


"It's funny because when you're a child, you believe you can be anything you want to be, go wherever you want to go. There's no limit to what you can dream. You expect the unexpected, you believe in magic, in fairy tales, and in possibilities. Then you grow older and that innocence is shattered and somewhere along the way the reality of life gets in the way and you're hit by the realization that you can't be all you wanted to be, you just might have to settle for a little bit less. Or perhaps a variation of what you once wanted. Why do we stop believing in ourselves? Why do we let facts and figures and anything but dreams rule our lives?"

Rating: 5/5

I'm very picky about the books that I read because I always wanted it to be worth every penny, this is one of the rare books that I did not mind spending every peso at all. It was worth it—the amount of time i spent in the bookstore as to whether or not i should get this, the sleepless night because i wanted to finish the book right away, and the fight i put up with myself to not finish it in one sitting because i want to be able to really feel the story. This book reminds me of Jessica Thompson's This Is A Love Story but better. Way better. The way Cecilia Ahern narrated the story is something so new to me but i think it worked so well with its overall theme about timing and fate.

The book began when Rosie and Alex were five stretching up to old age (won't say when because it might spoil you if you're planning to read it), and it's okay because it showed how the characters really matured throughout. The book got me so impatient that i took to twitter ranting why Alex and Rosie just can't end up together right then and there but that was the realest and most selfless part of the book. It tells people that you can plan your life all you want but something will get in the way and you will have to learn how to adjust. You can want something but you have to put it off because things happened. You can love someone but can't be with them because you're both too much of a chicken to admit it. You wanted to take a risk but you have to put other people first before yourself. The phrase "Timing is a bitch" goes so well with this novel. But it taught me that no matter how much of a bitch timing and fate and both of it combined are, if that's what you really want, go for it—it doesn't matter how long it took you to achieve it as long as you did achieve it; and that if what you feel is true and real, go ahead and say it—never mind how much has passed as long as it is still there. Rosie's struggles and how she managed to rise up each and every time is also very inspiring. Reading how much lemons life threw at her exhausted me but reading the end made me shed some tears. I can only hope I can be as strong as her when time calls for me to be. And I also wish to be as passionate and as driven as Alex in his chosen field.

The main thing I loved about this books is that it tells the reader that you're never too young or too old to do what you want to do be it reaching for the stars or traveling or settling down with that one great and true love of yours. If it's meant to be, it will be.

This may be too short for a review or it might seem to just contain my realizations but I just felt like I need to write something for a book this good. I've never come across something that I loved so much since reading Jenny Han's To All The Boys I've Loved Before. I recommend girls (probably even boys) to read this book for that needed extra push for life and love.

0 comments: